All HP Envy printers comes with common features like print, copy, scan and photo printing. Most models support wireless connectivity and some models even connects to the internet. They come with a cute display panel. Mostly two-sided printing feature is available. While some older models have only a single paper tray for paper handling, most others comes with a main paper tray and a photo tray for the convenience and quality of photo printing. Mobile printing option makes it even more sought after model with its low price and stylish design.
Your HP Envy 5549 printer will support any of these following methods to connect to yur wireless network.
• HP Auto Wireless Connect
• Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
• HP Wireless Setup Wizard
• USB setup of Wireless
These options can be selected during HP Envy 5549 printer setup 123.hp.com/setup 5549
This technology enables your printer to connect to your wireless network automatically. Neither any cables need to be connected nor your network identity needs to be entered. This capability has been made available in many recent HP Printers for the printer driver software installation.
First install the hp printer driver from 123.hp.com/envy5549. You will be led to an instructions window and will be prompted to enter the ‘connection type’. Select Network (Ethernet / Wireless) . Then select the recommended setting – ‘Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer’. Now the HP software will take control and take care of the connection.
But there are a few computers which are not compatible with this Auto Wireless Connect. So we shall use an alternate wireless connection method in such situations.
Compatibility conditions for HP Auto Wireless Connect
1. Your operating system in the computer must be either Windows Vista or later if it is Windows
2. It should be Mac OS X 10.5 or later if it is Mac
3. The computer should use a wireless connection to your network.
4. Operating System should be in control of the wireless adapter.
5. Only if the above 2 conditions are met, HP software will be able to retrieve computer’s network settings.
6. HP Printers are not compatible with 5.0 GHz networks.
7. So make sure your computer is connected to the network on 2.4 GHz.
8. However, most routers supports 2.4 GHz. So you can connect the printer to the network using other setup methods if this method did not work.
9. Computer should not use a static IP address.
10. The Printer should be in HP Auto Wireless Connect mode.
11. During installation , let the printer stay in this mode for atleast two hours before detecting and connecting to a network.
12. The printer control panel has options such as ‘Reset Netowrk Settings’ or ‘Restore Network Defaults’.
13. If the printer has been powered on for more than two hours and still the software has not detected and connected to your wireless netrwork, reset this mode using the options mentioned in the above step.
14. Those options are found in the Network menu or under Wireless -> Settings or gear icon. The printer documentation has more information regarding this.
HP Auto Wireless Connect’s availability is also based on some other technical or environmental features.
1. If HP Auto Wireless Connect method is the recommended setup method, then that will be offered during the time of installation.
2. During the setup process, you might have to disconnect your computer from your wireless network for a while. So internet access will be cut during this period of time.
3. So we should make sure that any other ongoing online work or download jobs are saved before going to this setup using 123.hp.com/setup 5549.
4. We have to use another wireless setup method as instructed, if the HP Auto Wireless Connect did not successfully complete the setup.
What is WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)?
This is a wireless networking standard that helps in making connections between a router and wireless devices faster and easier. It works only for wireless networks that have WPA or WPA2 Personal Security. In a normal scenario, you need to know the network name and password to connect any wireless enabled device. You have to select the network name from the list first. When it prompts for password, we need to key in the password.
If you connect using WPS, you need not have to go through all these. WPS simplifies the connection process.
Go to the setup page by typing 123.hp.com/setup 5549
Wi-Fi Protected Setup connect devices together over a wireless network using two modes. They are :
• Push Button Method
• PIN Method
Connecting Using WPS Pushbutton method
This is the easiest method.
Switch on the printer and start WPS on your printer. The instructions are available in the printer manual or wireless router manual.
Conditions for connecting using WPS Pushbutton mode: 1. Your wireless router and printer should support WPS Pushbutton mode. To verify this, please check your printer and wireless router manuals.
2. A physical WPS Pushbutton must be available in your wireless router.
3. WPA or WPA2 security should be used by your network. If WEp or no security is used, most WPS wireless routers will not connect using this method.
4. If you are using the default name which came as manufacture settings for network name, it will consider this as no security. Hence WPS wireless routers will not connect using WPS.
1. Start the WPS pushbutton mode on your printer.
Refer to the printer manual for instructions on how to start the WPS on your printer.
2. Once this is done, press the WPS button on your router within 2 minutes. You can download the printer driver from 123.hp.com/envy5549
Connecting Using WPS PIN method
This is how you connect your wireless printer to your wireless router using WPS.
Your wireless router has a WPS button near the Ethernet ports at the back. Your wireless printer ( or any other wireless device you want to connect to the network) will also have a WPS button on it. Press the WPS button on the router first, and then on your wireless printer, so that we can enable WPS to make very quick connections in these devices. You do not have to enter any data during this process. WPS automatically sends the network password. These devices remember it for future use. They will be able to connect to the same network in the future without you having to use the WPS button again.
This is available only for printers with a touch display.
This wizard has to be run from the control panel.
1.You have to keep your network name and security password ready (WEP, WPA or WPA2)
2. Display the list of wireless networks available in the sorroundings.
For this, you can go to the Network menu from the printer’s control panel, or touch the wireless icon and go to settings. From there, select Wireless Setup Wizard. Now, this displays all the available wireless networks in range.
Settings can also be accessed by touching the wrench icon, if it is available for that product.
3. Now, from the list displayed, select the name of your wireless network.
4. If your network is not listed, manually scroll down to the bottom of the list. Now enter your wireless network’s name manually. While entering the name manually, make sure that the name is accurate as the network name is case sensitive.
5. Now enter your WEP key or a WPA password. This key or password must be entered accurately as this is also case sensitive. Now your printer will be connected to the wireless network. If it is not connecting,, you can print a Network test Report. Referring to that, you can find out the issue and resolve the same. You can download the printer driver from 123.hp.com/envy5549
If your printer do not have a touch display, this setup method can be used for printer software installation.
You need to connect a USB cable between your computer and printer for a short while. The software prompts you when to connect and disconnect. Do only as instructed by the software. This will walk you through the entire configuration of wireless connection.
Sometimes, wireless settings are automatically detected by the software.
Now, to connect your wireless printer to the router using USB setup, you have to install printer software.
You can download the printer driver from 123.hp.com/envy5549 or 123.hp.com/setup 5549.
A wireless network has a router which sends signals wirelessly. The devices need not be connected physically to the router. The wireless enabled devices such as computer, printer etc can be connected to the wireless network and exchange information. This network is called a wireless infrastructure network.
Wireless routers also provide ports to connect wired devices such as computers and printers physically. An Ethernet cable is used to connect the device to the router.
Apart from the convenience of connecting a device without a physical cable, there is no difference as such. If the connection type is wired or wireless, these devices will be connected to the same network. In the same network, some devices can be connected using an Ethernet cable to the router whereas some other devices can be connected wirelessly. Irrespective of the connection, they can communicate each other.
Windows and Android work with WPS, whereas some later versions of blackberry also works with WPS. However, Apple’s Mac OS X & iOS , Linux and windows phone does not support WPS.
A PIN should be used on the wireless router to enable WPS connection. Even if you never use the PIN, the wireless router generates it. This WPS PIN is very insecure and has a security loop hole. Hence it is highly vulnerable to brute force attacks.
hp123support.com is a third party service provider who provides support in installation and configuration of printers, computers and peripherals. We have no agreement with HP or any other brands mentioned in our website unless expressly specified. We do not provide any warranty or service coverage for any products or any brands mentioned in our website.